A free and non-commercial MARI? You now have little excuse to finally learn MARI. The Foundry has added MARI to its list of free and non-commercial versions. You can now explore The Foundry’s high end texture painting application, learn it at your own pace, with the free and non-watermarked version, as it doesn’t expire.
With Non-commercial MARI, you get just that
The non-commercial MARI license has some restrictions, which include texture resolution, export formats, disabled python scripting, UV texture patch limits and object limits.
- Export texture resolution size is limited to 4K and 16-bit color per channel.
- Export formats are limited to .psd, .png, .tga, .jpg and .jpeg.
- Python scripting is disabled.
- There is a limit of six UV texture patches per object, but unlimited channels and layers.
- You can work with a maximum of five objects at once.
You can learn more about the feature differences and about valid and invalid uses of the Non-commercial MARI on the FAQ page. If you’re looking to evaluate the full commercial version, get the 15-day free trial.
The Foundry has a Learn MARI page that offers all kinds of tutorials aimed at beginners. There are also project-based tutorials based on texturing, for both visual effects and games artists, including some great tips and tricks.