Side Effects have been doing a great job lately of proliferating Houdini technology as far as they can. As an example, with the Houdini Engine plugins for host applications, you can load and use Houdini’s Digital Assets in applications such as Maya, Max, and C4D.
Taking the next step, Side Effects has announced and made available Houdini Indie, aimed at independent game creators and animators.
What Houdini Indie Offers
Houdini Indie’s was developed so that Houdini’s animation and procedural visual effects tools can be available under a new limited commercial license to independent animators and game makers.
Houdini Indie offers the same modeling and animation tools, visual effects tools, and mantra rendering, as the high end version of Houdini. The only difference is that the license is geared towards helping independent game makers have access to these tools.
Commercial usage of Houdini Indie is limited to:
- The annual gross revenue of commercial entities and contracting entities does not exceed $100K USD
- Commercial entities and contracting entities can purchase a maximum of 3 Houdini Indie and 3 Houdini Engine licenses
- Houdini Indie cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini
- Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets
- It is restricted to 1920×1080 when rendering out animations
Availability and Pricing
Houdini Indie is available right now through the Side Effects store, and can be purchased for $199.00, with the Houdini Engine for Indie going for $99.00. Check out the Houdini Indie Info page for more information.