Arttu Rautio shares a way to get custom render tokens in Cinema 4D using Python.
Render tokens are a way you can automate file naming and other tasks while rendering. In Cinema 4D, R17 introduced the variable path and file names, or Token system. You can use simple text variables in both path and file names. The Tokens will automatically replace the variables with attributes like the project name, camera, take, and other relevant information.
You can even create custom tokens using Python, thanks to Arttu Rautio’s post, a Finland-based digital artist, and an award-winning post-production supervisor. Arttu shows the code to make any customized tokens and even offers a few of his own. These include:
- Date Year Full (2021) – Token: $YYYY
- Date Year Short (21) – Token: $YY
- Date Month (01) – Token: $MM
- Date Day (16) – Token: $DD
- Date Hour (18) – Token: $hh
- Date Minute (42) – Token: $mm
- Date Second (10) – Token: $ss
- PC Name (String) – Token: $pcname
- Username (String) – Token: $pcuser
- Render Engine (Redshift) – Token: $renderer
Discover how to make custom render tokens in Cinema 4D using Python here.