Anton Parygin shares his MEL script for Maya, which is ideal for mirroring FK controls on a character rig.
Anytime you can speed up tasks like a sequential process or rigging tasks, that’s always a good thing. With that in mind, check out this Mirror FK Controls script for Maya, created by Anton Parygin.
Mirror FK Controls Features:
- Mirror hierarchy of controls like standard Mirror Joint tool with Behavior mirror function.
- Just select the first control or group; no need to choose a hierarchy.
- The script works correctly with objects without freezing transformations, so there is no need to freeze transformations of your controls.
- Prefix/suffix autodetection.
- The script defines the common prefixes/suffixes.
- The script will define them in any part of the name of the control. For example: ‘L_shoulder_ctrl’, or ‘Shoulder_L_ctrl’, or ‘Shoulder_ctrl_L’.
- Autosave custom prefix/suffix
- Also, you can write your custom prefix or suffix. The script will remember those until the following change.
- For a better definition, I advise you to write them with an underscore. For example: ‘Left_’ or ‘_Left’ or ‘_Left_’.
- Autosave last changes in UI: prefix/suffix and mirror Axis.
Check out Mirror FK Controls Script for Maya here. The script is tested and works with Maya 2018-2023.